- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside.
- Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, spices, baking soda and powder, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine melted butter, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.
- Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack.