4 cups of milk
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of sugar for topping
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Preheat oven to 350F
1. Beat the eggs and sugar.
2. Add milk and vanilla, and beat for 2 to 3 minutes, and set aside.
3. In a 9 inch metal baking pan, caramelize the 1 cup of sugar on medium heat until golden brown.
4. Prepare a large pan and fill with hot water to about halfway up the 9 inch pan. Put the pan with water on the oven rack so that you don't spill when you transfer the custard mixture.
5. Put the pan with the caramelized sugar in the pan with the water.
6. Pour the custard mixture into the pan with the caramelized sugar.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes (approx.) Shake the pan a bit to see if it has set.
8. Cool custard to room temperature and then run a knife around the edges, and turn out onto a large plate.
Refrigerate until ready to eat.