Saturday, September 16, 2006

Cevapcici (Chevaps)



Chevaps are a Serbian institution.
Next to lamb on a spit, this is will be on the grill.
I love them, my Stepson loves them, The Mister...not so much.
So, I don't make them that often. But, when I do...I make a right pig of myself.



You'll need:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb each of ground lamb and ground pork
1 egg white
lots of minced garlic (like 4 cloves or more)

In a small bowl mix together the spices for even distribution:
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 or two tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp baking soda


Mix all ingredients together well.
I use gloves because I can't stand the feeling, but it's also more sanitary.


Form the chevaps into finger sized pieces


Put them on the grill until done...NOT EVER in the oven.

It's traditionally served with pita bread and chopped onions, but I've served it more often with pita bread and Tzadziki sauce.

No comments: